Tuesday 3 January 2012

Books Read in 2011

Continuing my New Years blog tradition (started last year and inspired by Dumdad) here are the books I enjoyed in 2011. Authors in red are Canadian. I recommend all these books.... except the ones I didn't finish.

January:
Alligator - Lisa Moore
Good Faith - Jane Smiley

February:
In the Company of the Courtesan - Sarah Dunant
The Friday Night Knitting Club - Kate Jacobs
Crippen, A Novel of Murder - John Boyne

March:
Family Matters - Rohinton Mistry (2nd reading)
A Map of Glass - Jane Urquhart

April:
The Accidental - Ali Smith (weird)
Clara Callan - Richard B Wright
Adultery - Richard B Wright

May:
Sacred Hearts - Sarah Dunant
How Did You Get This Number? - Sloane Crosley (started but did not finish, can't remember why)
Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger

June:
The Red Leather Diary - Lily Koppel
Exit Music - Ian Rankin
Border Crossing - Pat Barker
Started Early, Took My Dog - Kate Atkinson (love her books)

July: 
When Will There be Good News? - Kate Atkinson (2nd time reading this)
Any Known Blood - Lawrence Hill

August:
Burning Bright - Tracy Chevalier
The Elegance of the Hedgehog - Muriel Barbery
Fugitive Pieces - Anne Michaels
Moby Duck - Donovan Hohn

September:
Echo Park - Michael Connelly
Ape House - Sara Gruen
The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein (brilliant, everyone should read this book, I loved it!)

October:
Arthur and George - Julian Barnes

November:
The Other Hand - Chris Cleave ( also previously read under it's N. American title, Little Bee)
Caleb's Crossing - Geraldine Brooks

December:
Perfume, The Story of a Murderer - Patrick Suskind
October - Richard B Wright
Life of Pi - Yann Martel

Currently on the bedside table: Turn Right at Machu Picchu - Mark Adams

9 comments:

  1. You really read a lot!! Good For You, my dear.
    I am a slow reader and I cannot imagine reading this many books in a year...CONFRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't read in years until I got a Kindle about 8 months ago and now on my 32nd book. I'm not fussy about the feel or smell of paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shammie! a good 2012 to you. I love Kate Atkinson. I have Perfume somewhere around here to finish. When I find a great book I can't put it down; otherwise, pfft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat list of books! I love to read too.
    Did you know the Friends of the East Gwillimbury Library hosted Jane Urquhart at an author reading last November? Her presentation was excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive reading list! I can only read about 4-5 books a year. But I've read at least 2 of the books on your list. One, if not both on my top 10. Art of Racing in the Rain is probably in the top 3, soo very much love that book. I think I started crying w/in the first few pages then laughing out loud within the next few. And the Life of Pi is a top 10 fav, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your list. I should start doing that to keep track of books read. I haven't read any of those either. I got a Kindle last year sometime, and it has made a real difference in the amount that I read. I get a newspaper every morning on mine and a couple of magazines, along with books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lot of books. You must be a fast reader? - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish my eyes were better. I love books. Will try again this year with newer technology.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally impressed, Sham. I'll be delighted if I can manage to read one book in 2012...and I mean that sincerely! (sigh) Now, talk to me about all the movies we watched in 2011!

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..