Sunday 24 November 2013

Jully Black

I've been doing some more volunteering at the theatre, and this time the concert was Jully Black. OK.... if you don't live in Canada her name may not be familiar, but if she and her band ever come to your town, definitely go and see her! Don't miss it.

Born the youngest of nine children in the notorious Jane and Finch neighbourhood in Toronto, Jully started singing in church when she was little. She's been part of the Canadian R&B music scene for a few years now.... and she is nothing short of DYNAMIC! She performed with a 4 piece band, and a couple of crazy hiphop dancers. As soon as those hiphop guys hit the stage, I knew we were in for a wild night.



Jully performed at the opening of the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, opened for Kanye West in Singapore, headlined the Canada Day concert in Trafalgar Square, London, and has sung at a private event for the Queen.
Her show here was sold out, and the crowd were very appreciative, dancing along with her and making the rafters shake with whistles and cheering. The show was ultra-high energy, the best concert I've ever been at, and as our modest little theatre seats only about 150 people maximum, it's a very intimate venue. The audience is very close to the performers.... you can see every bead of sweat!

After the show.... me and my new friend!!

5 comments:

  1. A name to look out for. Nice to see a picture of you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely smile.. Jully's also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jully sounds like a delightful person as well as an entertainer.
    Love the "Fandom" picture of you two.
    I hope I'm over this darn cold/sinus infection soon. Hard to do all that needs to be done with it hanging on.
    Getting ready for our US Thanksgiving this Thursday. Family is bringing all the goodies...all I have to do is roast the bird...Sounding better all the time.
    I'm glad to see you post now and them, i always enjoy hearing what's going on in your neck of the world.
    Happy volunteering and have a Blessed Holiday Season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read your comment on my Fall scene about wanting to paint it Shammie.
    I would be honored if you want to do it.
    Just be sure to take a picture and post of the finished product. I would love to see it.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't watch the video in the UK! Boo!

    Sounds like a splendid little gig, though!

    And nice to see a pic of you and your friend too!

    ReplyDelete

All comments welcome.... unless your name is Anonymous..